5 Exercises To Correct Rounded Shoulders From Office Work
Millions of working professionals around the world sit in an office chair all day long, which can significantly affect overall health and posture over time (See: Is A Sedentary Job Affecting Your Health?).
I was invited by Business Insider, which is one of the most popular business websites to contribute an article about correcting rounded shoulders, which is an all too common issue with working professionals.
Here’s a link to the full BusinessInsider.com article:
5 Exercises To Fix Hunchback Posture From Office Work
Slouching in your office chair every day forces your chest muscles to tighten, which pulls your spine forwards and internally rotates your shoulders. At the same time, your postural muscles in your upper back can loosen and weaken. The clinical term for this condition is Kyphosis.
These 5 corrective exercises can help relieve tension in your chest while strengthening those upper back postural muscles. Chose 3 of the 5 exercises (one must be a chest exercise) to repeat a few times per week:
5 Exercises To Correct Rounded Shoulders
Photos of each exercise are to the right in order.
1) Chest Stretch – 30 seconds both sides for 3 sets
2) Chest Compression – 30 seconds both sides for 3 sets
3) Upper Back Foam Rolling – Roll up and down your upper back, repeat for 3 sets
4) Prone Y Stretch – Hold for 5-10 seconds, complete for 3 sets of 8 rep
5) Close Grip Row – Complete for 3 sets of 15 repetitions
Extra Tips To Correct Rounded Shoulders:
1) Be conscious of your posture
2) Follow a balanced exercise program
3) Use proper ergonomics at work
I want to send a special thanks to the Business Insider team for inviting me as a guest writer and I also want to thank Chris Kirkinis for doing a great job on the photos.
Hope you enjoyed the video and the Business Insider article and please do share with friends!
5 Exercises To Correct Rounded Shoulders From Office Work,