It’s hard to believe that 2012 is coming to an end, but it allows for some reflection before 2013 begins.

A LOT has happened at BuiltLean in the last year including 11 people joining our team to over 4.6 million visits to our website. We are extremely grateful for all of our readers, subscribers, and customers for making BuiltLean possible. Without your engagement, feedback, and praise, this website wouldn’t be the same.

With over 140 articles posted this year, it was no easy task to pick the best 5 articles to feature. The articles that made it to the list had a combination of popularity, social media shares, comments, and high ratings from readers. We hope you enjoy the list!

#1 – Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women

image-1With over 200k pageviews and 1.7k+ Facebook likes, this article was in the top 10 most viewed articles on BuiltLean this year, and it was only published in September. It took me more than a week of searching through thousands of photos in order to find and create the combined images shown, and but all the hard work was well worth it! My goal was to help you get a better sense of your body fat percentage, which is something that causes a lot of confusion.

#2 – From Obese To Ripped: How Marty Lost 150lb+!

image-2We had a lot of amazing BuiltLean success stories this year, but Marty van den Bosch was the most startling with a 150lb+ transformation. How he was able to make this transformation, what inspired him to do it, and how he has been able to stay fit makes this a must read. Be inspired by reading his thorough and insightful interview. The article also attracted more than 180 Facebook likes and a very impressive 4.9/5.0 rating from 49 votes.

#3 – Top 3 Reasons To Lose Fat First Before Building Muscle

image-3With over 150k pageviews and nearly 300 Facebook likes, this article was in our top 10 most viewed of 2012. One of the pieces of advice I give most frequently is to lose fat first before building muscle because so many guys turn their backs on the promised land. They are so close to getting the strong, lean, fit body they want, but then end up reversing course by “bulking” up and gaining back all the fat they lost.

#4 – How Alcohol Affects Weight Loss

image-4When searching online for reliable fitness information, it’s easy to stumble upon 5 articles that say 5 different things and offer no references backing up their health claims. Our Technical Editor John Leyva wrote a 1,500 word article on how alcohol affects weight loss from a scientific standpoint including 9 references to back up his assertions. While technical, the article was also consumable, which is why it was shared over 150 times on Facebook and has a 4.7/5.0 rating from 66 votes.

#5 – How to Break A Weight Loss Plateau

image-5This article made it to our Best of BuiltLean list because it generated over 100 comments in only a few months and over 60k pageviews. There is a lot online about how to break weight loss plateaus, but most don’t offer specific reasons why they happen and how to overcome them. In this 1,500+ word article, I wrote about the most common issues I see as a fitness professional for why people are unable to break their plateaus and steps they can take.

BuiltLean Team Members added in 2012:

• Amanda Reck
  • Kristin Rooke
  • Jessica Zack
  • Steve Bergeron
  • Kevin Deeth
  • Bill Lagakos
  • Pat Koch
  • 3 Medical Reviewers – to be announcing in 2013
  • 1 Contributor – to be announced in 2013
  • 2012 Accomplishments

• 4.6 million total website visits from over 190 countries
  • Daily traffic of 15-20K (up from 3-4K at start of year)
  • 11 exceptional people joined our team
  • 140+ articles published
  • 10+ press mentions including BusinessWeek, Men’s Health, & Men’s Fitness
  • BuiltLean Youtube channel surpassed 1 million video views
  • Email list surpassed 50,000 subscribers
  • Thousands of people improved their health & well-being
  • Best of BuiltLean posts for the last 2 years:
    Best of BuiltLean 2011
    Best of BuiltLean 2010

From everyone at BuiltLean, we wish you a happy & health New Year and look forward to creating more useful articles and videos, along with tools and products that help you get leaner, stronger, and fitter in 2013!

uncadonego Jan 01, 2013 - 20:54 #

I wish all of you at the BUILTlean team more continued growth and success in 2013. This site and buying the program has helped me more than anything else to lose 80 lbs. in 5 months. When I think of all the people you are potentially helping to live healthier lives, I only wish better and better for you all.

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 02, 2013 - 17:31 #

Thanks. I’m looking forward to featuring your transformation in 2013!

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 07, 2013 - 22:46 #

@uncandonego – Love it. Keep it up!

Jeff Jan 02, 2013 - 15:28 #

Hi Marc,

On behalf of the Builtlean.com community, I would like to thank you for all these articles that makes everything in complete sense in terms of nutrition, exercise and motivation because I was able to lose 5% of my body fat (from 25% down to 20%) by just merely reading all these kind of articles to help me achieve my body transformation and I treat you Marc as my personal trainer in a sense that all of your videos and useful articles makes me feel you are teaching me personally even if you are far away. I look forward on sending my own success story maybe 3 or 4 more mos to serve as an inspiration to all who wants to achieve a lean body pysique. Long live BuiltLean and happy newyear!!!

– Jeff from the Philippines

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 02, 2013 - 17:30 #

@Jeff – Thank you very much for the kind comment and your support. We are super excited to make the website more useful and informative in 2013.

Jeff Jan 02, 2013 - 21:29 #

It’s an honor Marc and If it wasn’t to all your videos and articles, I’m still probably wasting all my efforts and precious time towards wrong exercises and improper nutrition. I just recently started last October and did a weigh-in last January 1st and I was shocked that my weight changed from 117lbs to 110lbs with waistline of 34in to 31in in just 2 months! Looking forward for builtlean.com this 2013 and I’m sure this is my year to be definitlely lean as well. More power and continue helping and motivating people with goals to be lean and healthy just like me.

steve Jan 04, 2013 - 18:27 #

Well done Marc and all of the team at BuiltLean.com, your site has been a great help to me over the past year since I started my journey to to lose weight and get lean, and with your help (so far) I’ve managed to drop 56 lbs and get to 18% body fat.

Here’s hoping that 2013 brings you even more success.

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 07, 2013 - 22:42 #

@steve – love that you are still excited to improve your health and well being after so much transformation. That’s awesome. Keep up the great work and congrats on your success so far!

Pete Jan 04, 2013 - 20:05 #

Hey Marc!
      I met you down in San Diego at the IDEA show this summer. Ever since, I have been reading your articles. Being in the industry I get a TON of fitness emails but I enjoy reading yours. They are well written, informative without being lengthy, and cover topics
      that are current and very helpful from a trainer standpoint.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more stuff in 2013.

Pete

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 07, 2013 - 22:41 #

Thanks a ton, Pete. Much appreciated! Super happy to hear you are enjoying the blog and hope all is well.

Russella Jan 05, 2013 - 16:17 #

I absolutely loved reading your 2012 accomplishments. I could not be any happier for you folks . . . you all deserve a great deal of credit for those accomplishments because your hard work, dedication, and genuine passion for fitness and well-being shine through in every single article.

I love your contributors; I love your articles; and yours are the newsletters and weekly round-ups that I look forward to reading more than anything ELSE in my e-mail in box. Keep up the great work, you’re a fantastic group providing an invaluable service and resource to the world.

Russella

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Jan 07, 2013 - 23:07 #

@Russella – Thanks a ton for the kind comments. We are super excited for 2013 and we want to make BuiltLean the trusted fitness resource where everyone wants to go.