You may know that Raw Chocolate in its raw unprocessed form, known as cacao, can offer you a wide range of health benefits. Now that spring is here, with this recipe, you can satisfy your craving for a refreshing chocolate banana smoothie, without feeling the guilt!
small size (16-oz)
|Calories per serving||297||560||606|
*Nutrition data for the BuiltLean Raw Chocolate & Banana Smoothie includes 1 packet of an all-natural stevia sweetener
With our BuiltLean Chocolate Banana Smoothie you can cut the calories in half while getting a great dose of antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals, heart-healthy fatty acids, protein, and fiber. The raw cacao in the smoothie can potentially help improve circulation; promote cardiovascular function and health; neutralize free radicals; improve digestion; and enhance physical and mental well-being.1
The Chia helps keep the smoothie dense and satisfying, all while helping to increase your energy and endurance; promote your hydration and electrolyte balance; lower your blood pressure; regulate your blood sugar levels; and support your weight loss by keeping you feeling full longer.2 3 If this isn’t a super pairing of super foods, then I don’t know what is!
Go ahead and begin reaping the benefits of raw cacao by swapping out the gluttonous shakes and drinks made with processed chocolate and added sugars, and try our healthy raw chocolate banana smoothie alternative.
Raw Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe | Ingredients
- 1 C of Chia Pudding (¼ C chia seeds soaked in 8 oz of almond milk)
- 2.5 Tbsp of raw Cacao Powder (~16 beans ground)
- ½ Banana
- 1 Tbsp Honey (or 1 serving of alternative natural sweetener)
- 2-3 Ice cubes
If you don’t have Chia pudding on hand, or you don’t have the time to prepare some for this recipe, then try replacing it with a low-fat yogurt, almond milk, or another healthy base of your choice. If you do choose to go with a thinner base, you will probably want to add more ice for a thicker smoothie consistency. Also, if you want to keep the sugar and carbs down to the bare minimum, try ditching the banana or using even less than half— Just keep in mind that the banana does a great job balancing the bitterness of the raw chocolate, so you will end up with a much earthier tasting cocktail!
*For tips on how to prepare a basic chia pudding, just refer back to How To Eat Chia Seeds
Raw Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe | Preparation
1. For this cool cacao treat there is just one step. All you have to do is blend the listed ingredients together until it you have your desired smoothie consistency. It’s as easy as that!
If you have discovered other great recipes using raw cacao share them with us in a comment below!
- Corti, R, Flammer, A, Hollenberg, N, Luchser, T. Contemporary Reviews in Cardiovascular Medicine Circulation, American Heart Assoc. 2012. ↩
- Vuksan V, Whitham D, Sievenpiper JL, et al. Supplementation of conventional therapy with the novel grain Salba (Salvia hispanica L.) improves major and emerging cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: results of a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(11):2804-10. Available at: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2804.long ↩
- Hoover, G. Chia Seeds for Health. NewsTimes. Available at: http://www.newtimes.org/issue/0202/chia.htm ↩