cbs-newyork-intro

=> View “The Fit Minute” Segment

CBS New York The Couch – Fit Minute Segment

This morning at 8:50am EST BuiltLean was featured on The Couch’s Fit Minute, which is a TV show that airs on CBS New York – CBS Local. The Fit Minute can air on Tuesday, or Thursday morning during the week. How it works is a workout is discussed, typically exercises are demonstrated, then there is a 1 minute workout that viewers can follow. I have a link above so you can check out the video.

I want to send a special thanks to BuiltLean team member Kwesi Peters, Producer Greg Overzat, Production Assistant Devyn Rafols-Nunez, anchor Jodi Applegate, and the entire CBS crew. They are all super professional!

The Fit Minute Strength Circuit Workout:

• 1 Arm DB Clean & Press
  • Reverse Lunge Holding DB
  • 1 Arm DB Row
  • Workout Instructions:
    For the segment, we only did a few reps of each because it was only one minute, but ideally, you should do 8 reps each side for the Clean & Press, 16 reps of reverse lunges, and 8 reps each arm of the DB Row. Use a heavy enough weight to challenge yourself and repeat this workout for 3 to 5 rounds. It’s a killer full body workout that only takes probably 10 to 20 minutes.

Fit Minute Screenshots

cbs-new-york-reverse-lunge-2

One Arm DB Row Exercise
    cbs-new-york-one-arm-db-row

The Wrap Up
    cbs-new-york-the-wrap-up

Mark Sep 13, 2013 - 14:23 #

Hi Marc, as always you provide clear, concise and simple instruction that anyone can benefit from. Have you ever considered producing a follow at home DVD program much like a P90x or Men’s Health Spartacus ? The market is there for it

Thanks

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 13, 2013 - 14:44 #

@Mark – Thanks, Mark, it’s definitely something I am considering. Appreciate the kind words and feedback.

Eric Crook Sep 13, 2013 - 18:07 #

I have to say that I love getting your email updates. It’s rare when I don’t read them and or apply them to what I’m doing at the gym. Thank you for what you do. It means a lot.

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 14, 2013 - 09:56 #

Thanks, Eric. Appreciate the feedback.

Susan Sep 14, 2013 - 06:22 #

Very nicely done! 🙂

Gerardo Sep 14, 2013 - 07:22 #

Hello,
      Congratulations on the program, it seems like a very effective and concise circuit for busy people. However, I often wonder what you would advise as a warming up routine for example before you do this full body workout circuit. Do you need to warm up at all? Is the dynamic stretching routine you have advised in other occasions good enough to prepare you for this circuit for instance?
      Thank you, and very well done!

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 14, 2013 - 09:56 #

@Gerardo – I would recommend completing a dynamic warm up routine before hand. Thanks for the kind words and good luck!

Fran Sep 14, 2013 - 17:13 #

As always we love your articles and this video is explosive! Going on vacation for 3 weeks to Europe and I know having this as a simple tool will make it easy to keep my training going. It amazes me how many people I have told about the Built Lean program who are yet to click on your website. I do know your program motivated me to finally include nutrition, and motivation rather than the drudgery of mind discipline to keep me moving forward. The results are obvious and that is why everyone asks, “what are you doing”…Built Lean of course!

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 16, 2013 - 12:17 #

Thanks, Fran. Have fun in Europe!

Shubham Sep 14, 2013 - 21:48 #

You truly inspire us and it really came as a surprise that you were Wall Street worker and made a career switch to pursue fitness. Keep inspiring ????

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 16, 2013 - 12:19 #

Thanks, it seems like a while ago I was sifting through 10K’s and checking out stock quotes all day. Really happy and grateful I get to spend my days thinking of ways to help others improve their health and well-being.

Ken Sep 19, 2013 - 18:20 #

I did this workout today. Much more intense than my usual routine! It was great.

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 20, 2013 - 10:42 #

Happy you tried it out, Ken. Always good to switch things up every once in a while.

Caressa Sep 20, 2013 - 10:58 #

Hi Marc,

I’m a 125 pound female who had very little muscle (at all) to start with. I began lifting heavy (for me) about 6 weeks ago. I’m noticing great changes even definition in arms & abdominals. I do a lot of squat/lung/free weight exercises but I don’t do cardio (except 2 min to get blood flowing). My caloric intake is about 1000-1400 (depending on if i worked out) calories per day-high in protien & mostly clean but not perfect. I usually lift weights 3-4 times per week.

I’m noticing these great changes but I e also noticed my (already large) bumm has gotten a little bigger. I understand the muscle is likely pushing the fat outward, but is this going to get eaten up with more time or do I need to include more cardio?

When I lift, I tend to alternate muscle group rather than a rest so that my heart rate stays up. I’m going to try your metabolic circuit today but wanted your input on my growing darrier!

Any other advice based on what I have shared I welcome 🙂

Thanks!
      PS I really appreciate the videos!

Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT Sep 20, 2013 - 11:43 #

Thanks for sharing, Caressa. Sounds like your shift to strength based workouts has been doing wonders for your body. Before getting to concerned, I would measure your hips. This will allow you to track if your glutes are in fact getting bigger, or if on the other hand they just appear that way (maybe you lost some fat off your thighs, which creates a more round appearance for your glutes). I wouldn’t worry too much about basic cardio as it sounds like what you are doing is working, but if you want to add in a HIIT cardio workout, it can likely help. But again, depends on the time you have in your schedule etc.

Zach Sep 22, 2013 - 10:58 #

Marc, thank you for the tons of relevant articles you post. You take workout research and scientific information to another level. I do not have much time to workouts since some months. I had started last year with a 60 minute routine based on another workout programme (not yours). I had to reduce the routine time. Basically I do now:

1. Your “Best stretch before workout” (5 minutes) – I feel the blood starts rushing stronger
      2. Jumping Jacks during 5 minutes, alternating 30s Jumping Jacks and 30s only jumping

Instead of the full workout routine that was composed of sets of 3×10 reps, I do now:

1. Biceps workout with freeweights until failure
      2. Triceps and chest: pull ups (wide, normal and diamond) until failure on each
      3. Pull-ups with rings, until failure
      4. Static goblet lounges, until failure for each leg (right leg in front andthen left leg in front)
      5. Calves workout until failure, holding freeweights
      6. Abs workout, varied, until failure

I do only one set of each exercise until failre. I started three months ago and feel my muscles improved very well. This cuts my workout time to 30-40 minutes, as I only stop 10 seconds between workouts. Then I read your article on Building Muscle without Heavy Weights: “They found that in resistance-trained young men, a lower workout intensity and a higher volume of repetitions performed until failure was equally effective in stimulating muscle proteins as a heavy workout intensity at lower repetition rates.” My question is: will results be as good with one repetition until failire for each workout as above than with the traditional 3 reps for each workout? Any advice is welcome!