Chicken tacos are a staple meal in my house. I don’t know about you, but I love tacos, especially homemade ones. Here’s a confession – I’ve eaten homemade tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner all in the same day. Yes, they are that good. Of course there are a million ways to do tacos, but I like to take a simple and easy approach. That’s exactly what you’ll get with this tasty recipe.
Why do I love chicken tacos so much? – Because they are in high protein, very satisfying, and the leftover meat can be used for a variety of other dishes and snacks.
The best part, it takes less than 20-minutes to prepare this delicious meal.
There are two parts to this recipe – cooking the chicken and mixing the coleslaw. After that, all you need to do is assemble your tacos and eat.
This recipe makes about 10 tacos.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes|
Chicken Taco Nutrition Facts
Serving = 3 Tacos
Three of these spicy chicken tacos will definitely fill a man-sized appetite.
Spicy Coleslaw Nutrition Facts
Serving = ½ cup Coleslaw (toppings for 3 tacos)
This coleslaw is low-calorie, low-fat, and full of flavor and nutrients. Feel free to load up your tacos with more than ½ a cup.
|1.5 lbs. (about 4 large breasts)||Chicken Breast (1-inch cubes)|
|1 TBSP||Olive Oil|
|1 large||Diced Onion|
|1 medium can||Diced Tomatoes|
|10||Small Corn Tortillas|
Spicy Coleslaw (makes about 3 cups)
|2 cups||Shredded Green Cabbage|
|1 cup||Shredded Carrots|
|1 large||Diced Onion|
|1/4 cup||Chopped Cilantro|
|1 large squeezed||Lime juice|
|2 TBSP||Hot Sauce|
|2 TBSP||Olive Oil|
While there are two parts to this recipe, you’ll find that it’s super quick to prepare and cook. Start by prepping your coleslaw. Then cook the chicken and heat your tortillas. You’ll be eating a delicious meal in no time.
Spicy Coleslaw Instructions
1) Shred 2 cups of cabbage (or buy pre-shredded cabbage)
2) Shred 1 cup of carrots (or buy pre-shredded carrots)
3) Dice one large onion
4) Mix cabbage, carrots and onion together with all other remaining ingredients. Mix well. If you want extra heat, add another 2 TBSP of hot sauce.
Chicken Taco Instructions
1) Add oil to frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 2-minutes.
2) Add cubed chicken breast.
3) Add spices and cook chicken for 3-4 minutes each side, or until no longer pink inside.
4) Add tomatoes and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
5) Cook the chicken until it’s done and the sauce has simmered down and thickened.
6) Heat up tortillas and serve with a slice of avocado and a lime. Top with spicy coleslaw and enjoy!
7) Optional – Add shredded cheese if you can handle dairy.
There you have it. I hope you enjoy this one, and let me know how your tacos turned out! You can also double the recipe to have lots of leftovers for high protein snacks throughout the rest of your week. And if you end up eating these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the same day, please let me know in the comments so I can give you a high five!