If you haven’t embraced the morning protein shake yet, now’s the time. Why? It’s the perfect breakfast for many reasons.
Whether you’re strapped for time and need an on-the-go breakfast, you’re not a breakfast person, or you prefer something light, nutrient-dense, and protein-packed, protein shakes are a great solution. Especially if you want to lose fat, build strength, and increase your energy.1
This shake recipe, in particular, will help you get your day started on the right foot. Here’s a breakdown of the benefits:
The protein will helps build and repair muscle, keeps you fuller longer, and regulates your appetite.2
Spinach is full of chlorophyll, beta-carotene, and potassium, which are all health-promoting nutrients.3
Blueberries are a great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, which can help decrease inflammation and prevent disease.4 Fiber helps slow digestion, regulate blood sugar, and keeps you satisfied for hours.
And walnuts provide omega-3 fatty acids, as well as protein and a variety of essential nutrients.5
In short, this protein shake is a powerhouse breakfast, and it only takes 5-minutes to make.
Berry Green Protein Shake Recipe
Servings per recipe: 1 breakfast, or 2 snacks
|1 cup Baby Spinach||1. Choose your favorite protein powder – whey, plant, egg, or goat.|
2. Blend all ingredients (except walnut pieces) until smooth.
3. Pour in a glass.
4. Top with walnut pieces, and eat!
|1 Banana (frozen)|
|½ cup Fresh Blueberries|
|1 scoop Protein Powder|
|1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk|
|1/8 cup Walnut Pieces|
|Dash of Cinnamon|
|Nutrition Info:||518 calories||51g carbs||35g protein||26g fat|
Tips To Make This Shake Your Own
Every ingredient in this shake can be modified, which means you can keep it interesting, or even seasonal. There’s no reason to get bored with your morning protein shake. Here are just a few ideas on alternative ingredients you can use.
Use Frozen Mango Instead.
If you don’t like bananas, you can substitute frozen mango. You’ll still get that creamy texture with a much more tropical taste.
Choose Your Favorite Greens.
I chose baby spinach because it blends really well and has a pretty neutral flavor while still being nutrient-packed. Feel free to use another type of dark leafy green – such as kale, collards, chard, or even a mix of baby greens.
Switch Up The Nuts & Berries.
This shake is so versatile, you can use raspberries instead of blueberries, or almonds instead of walnuts. Play around until you figure out which ingredients make your favorite shake.
Do you have a favorite protein shake recipe? We’d love to hear about what you put in your shake.
- Leidy HJ, Hoertel HA, Douglas SM, Higgins KA, Shafer RS. A high-protein breakfast prevents body fat gain, through reductions in daily intake and hunger, in “Breakfast skipping” adolescents. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015;23(9):1761-4. ↩
- Paddon-jones D, Westman E, Mattes RD, Wolfe RR, Astrup A, Westerterp-plantenga M. Protein, weight management, and satiety. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87(5):1558S-1561S. ↩
- Available at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270609.php. Accessed November 30, 2016. ↩
- Available at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287710.php. Accessed November 30, 2016. ↩
- Available at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/309834.php Accessed November 30, 2016. ↩