The New Year is getting started and many people now find themselves with a little extra insulation after eating incessantly through the holiday season.
Luckily, it’s a great time for fresh starts and new goals to get healthy; whether you’re a seasoned gym veteran or just beginning your fitness journey, a little extra motivation can be just what you need to kick-start your next trip around the sun.
With that in mind, I’ve put together 10 of my favorite exercise motivation quotes from a wide variety of athletes, authors, and philosophers to help you start 2013 on the right track. It’s time to put away the eggnog and pull out the gym clothes!
1. Find Inner Strength
1. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
2. “If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.”
3. “It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
4. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
2. There Are No Limits
5. “If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus; and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”
6. “Your biggest challenge isn’t someone else. It’s the ache in your legs and the voice inside that yells can’t, but don’t listen. You just push harder and then you hear the voice whisper can and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the person you really are.”
7. “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.”
3. Never Give Up
8. “Nothing is more certain than the defeat of a man who gives up.”
9. “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
10. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
That last one is my personal favorite. I know it’s sometimes difficult to make changes in our lives, especially with busy work and family schedules, but I truly hope you can find some inspiration here to make your health a priority this New Year. Yes, going to the gym on a cold, winter’s morning is not as easy as sleeping in your nice, warm bed, but you’ll be glad you did.
We spend so much time and energy focused on professional and financial pursuits that we tend to overlook the importance of our own physical well-being, which then causes more health-related problems and stress.
So I’d like to leave you with one last thought from motivational speaker Jim Rohn that summarizes the main idea here pretty well: “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”
Have a happy and healthy new year!
Do you have any favorite quotations to get you motivated for the new year?