In the last decade, I’ve compiled dozens of quotes that help me stay focused and get inspired.
The following quotes were compiled my me and BuiltLean contributor Nate Morrow.
These fitness motivation quotes can help motivate you to exercise, eat well, and improve your health.
They are powerful and thought provoking, so I hope you enjoy them:
Master Your Mindset
1. “The greatest discovery of my generation is that you can change your circumstances by changing your attitudes of mind”
2. “He who conquers others is strong, he who conquers himself is mighty”
3. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”
4. “That which holds the attention determines the action”
5. “Our life is what our thoughts make it”
When it comes to mastering our mindset, most of us harbor negative thoughts. In fact, most of our approximately 60,000-70,000 thoughts each day1 may be negative and the same as the previous day.
It’s not by chance that most of the quotes relate to mastering your mindset. Your thoughts and your mindset determine your outward actions.
Have A Plan
6. “Failing to plan is the plan to fail”
7. “If you don’t know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else”
-Laurence J Peter
Changing our bodies is very challenging, but with a well defined plan of action to follow, it becomes much more manageable.
8. “The real risk is doing NOTHING”
9. “We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it – but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor”
-Oliver Wendell Holmes
It’s so easy to flail in the wind, but you can take action right now to change how you look and feel.
Believe In Your Potential
10. “In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”
I really love this last quote, because when I look at someone who has fallen off the proverbial wagon, I see a lean, confident, and energetic person just waiting to be revealed.
Find Inner Strength
11. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
12. “If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.”
13. “It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
14. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
It’s sometimes difficult to make changes in our lives, especially with busy work and family schedules, but I truly hope you can find some inspiration here to make your health a priority. Yes, going to the gym on a cold, winter’s morning is not as easy as sleeping in your nice, warm bed, but you’ll be glad you did.
There Are No Limits
15. “If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus; and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”
16. “Your biggest challenge isn’t someone else. It’s the ache in your legs and the voice inside that yells can’t, but don’t listen. You just push harder and then you hear the voice whisper can and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the person you really are.”
17. “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.”
Never Give Up
18. “Nothing is more certain than the defeat of a man who gives up.”
19. “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
20. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
21. “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
22. “Eating crappy food isn’t a reward — it’s a punishment.”
23. “I’ve always believed that the fitter you are and the more time you find to look after yourself, the more time you’ll have for everyone else.”
24. To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
25. “Seek the small improvement one day at a time. That’s the only way it happens — and when it happens, it lasts.”
Wow, I LOVE these quotes! Reading over these quotes frequently can be a life changer.
It’s so hard for me to choose a favorite quote, but I would have to go with Michelangelo, because it encapsulates what I do for a living.
Do you have a favorite quote either from this list, or another that has helped keep you motivated? If so, leave a comment below!
- Available at: http://www.chopra.com/namaste/may07. Accessed February 11, 2013. ↩
Interesting quotes. It seems that are applicable not only to fitness but also to business and life in general. Here is one of my favorites from John D. Rockefeller “Do not many of us who fail to achieve big things. . .fail because we lack concentration–the art of concentrating the mind on the thing to be done at the proper time and to the exclusion of everything else?” It would be nice to see in a future post how you translate and internalize these quotes to reach fitness goals.
Perseverance & Determination
All these quotes are great but I LOVE #6 (“Failing to plan is the plan to fail” -Effie Jones)…. it’s very close to my mantra which is “Plan your work, Work your plan.”
Antonius (Our life is what our thoughts make it) is pretty powerful stuff…def my favorite
The key to success in life in general is your attitude and a willingness to change. My favorite quote is “you can change the world as much as you can change yourself.”
Hey Craig, you’re absolutely right. I should have included some quotes on determination and perseverance. I may have to update the post.
My favorite is Winston Churchill’s “Attitude”. The quote is framed in our home. We have found it to be very inspirational.
the number 8 is definitely the best.. If you never start doing anything, you will never achieve anything1
great information about fitness. i hope if we use these steps we will have a fit and mantes of body
The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. If you can go through the pain period, you make it to be a champion. If you can’t go through it, forget it. And that’s what most people lack: having the guts – the guts to go in and just say . . . “I don’t care what happens.”
How did this Arnold quote not make the top ten???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
I agree, you must get out there and get started. If it’s just a couple times a week. Get started!! I agree with number 8
I love Oprah Winfrey’s mantra: “When you know better, you do better.” I typed this out and stuck it to my refrigerator so I’ll never forget. There’s no need to beat yourself up about past mistakes, just move forward and continue onward.
I really like these quotes. I collect my own because it helps keep me going.
@ray – thanks for the comment. Happy you liked the article!
I don’t mind losing but it should never be because i give up (this quote somehow helps me :)).. Another one is “A ship will always be safe at the shore but its not what its built for” – Einstein
@Sankar – cool quotes, thanks for sharing.